Home and Hospital Eligibility:
- Any student enrolled with SRCS who develops a temporary health issue (see above) that
will last three to eight weeks is eligible to apply for Home/Hospital instruction, unless it
is evident at the onset of the health issue that the student will be out for more than
three (3) weeks.
- Students not enrolled in SRCS who are receiving inpatient treatment at a facility located
within the district attendance areas are eligible to apply for Home/Hospital services.
- All Home/Hospital requests for students with an Individualized Education Plan (IEP)
must be approved through a “placement IEP” that is held with the student’s case
manager and school site IEP team.
- All Home/Hospital requests for students with a 504 plan must be approved by a 504
team at the School of Residence.
- Students over 18 years of age and not enrolled in SRCS do not qualify for Home/Hospital
instruction, unless they have an Individualized Education Plan.
- Students who are not enrolled in a SRCS school or program and who live within the SRCS
boundaries need to enroll in their home school (school in their attendance area) to
receive Home/Hospital instruction.
- Specialized/advanced courses may not be offered through Home/Hospital instruction
(i.e., AP, IB, Honors, foreign language, lab science courses, electives requiring specific
tools or equipment, and some higher level mathematics courses). Courses may not be
A-G approved by the University of California.
- Home/Hospital instruction is not intended as a general program of independent study.
Reevaluation of a student’s health condition will be required from the
physician/psychiatrist after eight (8) weeks of Home/Hospital instruction.
For additional information, click on the links below:
Home and Hospital Information 2018
SRCS Board Policy 6183
CDE's Home and Hospital Program Summary